Oakhill Cemetery is located at 40188 Highway 41 in Oakhurst, CA. The first burial was made by Frankie Nichols in 1875. Baby Frankie Nichols died at eight months of age in Fresno Flats. There was no cemetery nearby, so his father chose a beautiful site on an oak covered hill, set it aside for a cemetery and dug the first grave for his small son. Later Fresno Flat would become the town of Oakhurst. On July 8, 1904 Oakhill cemetery was incorporated. On May 3, 1955 Madera County turned over the cemetery to the Madera Cemetery District. Oakhill is comprised of 7 acres with niches and ground burials available. On the grounds is The Little Church on the Hill which is a State of California Historical Point of Interest. It was consecrated as Christ Church on June 20, 1894. In the 1950′s the church was abandoned where it stood on Chapel Hill. In 1957 a group of grandmothers headed by Grace Schneider used raffles, parties and all sorts of events to raise funds needed to move the historic church to the Oakhill Cemetery and to restore the building to its original state. In 1994 the work began by the Little Church Foundation Board of nine members that is still currently raising money through donations to help fund the restoration for all to use for weddings, christenings and as a meeting hall.
40188 Highway 41
Oakhurst, CA 93644