Madera Cemetery DistrictAn Endowment Care Cemetery
The Madera Cemetery District was formed by the vote of local residents and property owners in 1945. It currently maintains five cemeteries and is one of the largest public cemetery districts in the State of California providing a beautiful final resting-place for those qualifying district residents and their families.
Two cemeteries were included in the formation of the district. One formed in 1885 by the Ladies Social Aid Society of Madera-Fresno County known as the Arbor Vitae Cemetery. The second formed in 1889 was given to the District in 1946 by the Roman Catholic Monterey-Fresno Diocese. It is known as Calvary Cemetery.